Smurfit Kappa and Scania combine in paper-based packaging venture
Europe’s leading corrugated packaging company, Smurfit Kappa, has joined forces with global transport provider, Scania, to replace materials used in its supply chain with paper-based packaging solutions.
The Dublin-based firm collaborated with ‘Scania Parts Logistics’ division which enabled Smurfit Kappa to make a 50% reduction in the storage space required for its truck window packaging service, which meant Scania received considerable transportation savings.
"After a comprehensive review of the challenging brief that we presented them with, Smurfit Kappa managed to present us with an ingenious solution that exceeded all our expectations,” said Brechtel Coox, Packaging Engineer at Scania Parts Logistics.
“Scania Parts Logistics depends on an optimised supply chain so we can guarantee our customers a first-class service.”
- PSA Group sees its shares in French car brands rise to 10-year high
- New trains built by Hitachi to launch in Scotland
- AnyVision announce $28mn deal with Bosch for facial recognition technology
- Read the latest issue of Manufacturing Global here
In order to review all aspects of Scania’s supply chain, Smurfit Kappa utilised its SupplySmart service to compare its findings with insights that have been collated from over 60,000 supply chains.
The analysis was then reviewed and areas where sustainable changes could be made were identified.
"This project was the result of a collaborative process between Smurfit Kappa and Scania Parts Logistics. Our starting point was to see how we could optimise their supply chain in terms of time, costs and sustainability,” commented Erik Bunge, CEO of Smurfit Kappa Corrugated Benelux.
“The paper-based solution we came up with which combines corrugated and honeycomb production capabilities within is strong and enables us to deliver an innovative and reliable service to our valued partner Scania.”
- Manufacturing Digital LIVE: Tech, sustainability & moreSmart Manufacturing
- COP28 to discuss emission reduction in pharma manufacturingSustainability & ESG
- Top 10 companies speaking at Manufacturing Digital LiveSmart Manufacturing
- How BP is reshaping the manufacturing landscapeSustainability & ESG