Smurfit Kappa recognised for its environmental approach as it wins award in Colombia
The Ireland-based corrugated packaging company, Smurfit Kappa, has been recognised for its environmental approach and has won an award at the Andesco Sustainability Awards in Colombia.
The awards, which saw Smurfit Kappa win “Best Environmental Approach”, gives acknowledgement to the achievements of firms in the public utilities and communications industries.
“We are very pleased to receive this important award. Our commitment is to continue along this path,” said Nicolas Pombo, Manager of the Smurfit Kappa Colombia Forestry Division.
“All sectors must keep on working together to establish a circular economy model that guarantees the sustainability of the resources given to us by mother nature.”
It has been found that the fibres that the company uses in paper production are created from sustainably managed forests.
- Bosch announces stake in Ceres Power Holdings to develop solid oxide fuel cells
- Siemens agrees deal with Austria rail operator OeBB to sell its trains
- BASF finalise purchase of Bayer’s vegetable seeds business
- Read the latest issue of Manufacturing Global here!
Smurfit Kappa has 22,000 hectares of natural forests that are protected and preserved, as well as 44,000 hectares of commercial forestry plantations in Colombia.
“EPM celebrates this award and the fact that all of Smurfit Kappa´s initiatives align with its vision in sustainability and the need to balance the social, environmental and economic aspects of business,” added Jorge Londoño, General Manager of EPM, one of Colombia’s largest utilities companies.
The awards, which have been given to the successful companies every year since its inception in 2005, saw 19 winners in total out of the 361 firms registered for the awards.
- Manufacturers must decrease pollution levels in supply chainProcurement & Supply Chain
- Smurfit Kappa announces new Better Planet 2050 targetsProcurement & Supply Chain
- Packaging Leaders Collaborate to Push ‘TopClip’ Worldwide.Procurement & Supply Chain
- GWP Group: A Bumper Year for Packaging ManufacturersProcurement & Supply Chain