Smurfit Kappa announces new Better Planet 2050 targets
Broadening Smurfit Kappa’s commitments to sustainability, the group has introduced new and updated, ambitious targets as part of its Better Planet 2050 commitments.
Addressing sustainability in a number of areas, its new targets focus on reducing further its environmental footprint, increase its support for communities and further enhance the lives of its employees. The group’s targets under its Better Planet 2050 commitments builds upon its sustainability efforts which it has been reporting on since 2005.
“Sustainability has always been part of our DNA but concerns about how we treat our planet, how we create a more inclusive world and support greater equality across our communities has never been so important. More needs to be done to address these global challenges. That is why we are setting new, more ambitious short-term targets and longer-term goals. Better Planet 2050 quantifies our commitment to protect what we care about – our planet, our people and our business - through a set of ambitious goals that will drive actions and behaviours that will deliver better outcomes,” commented Tony Smurfit, CEO, Smurfit Kappa Group.
Breaking down Smurfit Kappa’s new targets
Committed to targeting environmental and social sustainability in areas that it believes will have the greatest impact, Smurfit Kappa’s new targets include sustainable packaging, reducing its environmental footprint in water usage, waste and carbon emissions, and supporting communities, by promoting inclusion and diversity as well as health and safety.
“We recognise that good social citizenship, shown in our interactions with employees, business partners and host communities, can improve lives. It is essential to creating a sustainable future for all,” added Smurfit.
Smurfit Kappa’s main targets include:
- Increasing its reduction in fossil CO2 emissions from 40% to 55% in its global paper and board mill system by 2030, and reaching at least net zero fossil emissions by 2050
- Increasing its Chain of Custody Certified delivers to customers from >90% to >95% by 2025,
- Achieving at least a 1% intensity reduction of water intake by its global paper and board mill system yearly
- Establishing a diverse workplace and ensure that female gender representation across the Group is above 30%, as well as having 25% of females holding management positions (a 2% annual increase over the next three years)
- Donating over US$29.18mn to support social, environmental and community initiatives, between 2020 and 2025
- Manufacturing Digital LIVE: Tech, sustainability & moreSmart Manufacturing
- Tan Delta's innovations support sustainability goalsSustainability & ESG
- The future of sustainability in the manufacturing IndustrySustainability & ESG
- JPB Système: Aerospace challenges & sustainable processesSustainability & ESG