100 years of The Institution of Chemical Engineers
The Institution of Chemical Engineers (IChemE), James Joyce’s Ulysses and the BBC all celebrate their centenary in 2022.
From what began at the Hotel Cecil in London, 2nd May 1922, has stretched to a membership body of over 30,000 chemical engineers today.
For IChemE, the anniversary is an opportunity to celebrate the profession and its achievements over the past 100 years - including in regards to its impact on manufacturing.
Chemical engineers manufacture everyday items
Chemical engineering, the manufacturing of products using chemical processes, includes:
- Designing equipment
- Developing processes to refine raw materials
- Mixing and compounding chemicals
Significant inventions that have come from chemical engineers include fuel, vaccines, plastic and electricity generation.
A programme of activities throughout 2022 will celebrate the work of chemical engineers with activities such as:
- Monthly themed webinar panel discussions with industry and research leaders
- A blog series
- A series of feature articles in The Chemical Engineer magazine
A celebration of chemical engineers in society
Jane Cutler is the 80th President of IChemE and she is delighted to be leading the Institution in 2022.
“The world we live in may have changed significantly since the inaugural meeting in 1922, but one thing has remained constant and that is the commitment of chemical engineers to serve our society”, said Cutler. “I encourage you all to participate in the programme of activities to celebrate our profession. The webinar panel discussions will provide a wonderful forum for debate and conversation, and everyone is invited to participate.
"The centenary is the perfect time to acknowledge the contributions of the many people who have been part of IChemE’s 100-year history and who paved the way to make our institution what it is today. I would like to thank our incredible members, volunteers and staff who work together to achieve our aims.”
- The impact of 5G technology in the manufacturing industryTechnology
- Manufacturing Digital LIVE: Tech, sustainability & moreSmart Manufacturing
- COP28 to discuss emission reduction in pharma manufacturingSustainability & ESG
- Top 10 companies speaking at Manufacturing Digital LiveSmart Manufacturing